upgraded cams [Archive] - K-Series Forums

View Full Version : upgraded cams

07accord540
05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
im thinking of upgrading to a bc stage two cams, does the engine require any additional mods or can the cams just be installed by themselves?

HondaFreak
05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
You should really upgrade the retainers at the least, and probably should upgrade the valve springs as well. I know, I know....it makes it more expensive adding on springs and retainers. My goal is your engine not blowing because you didn't upgrade those 2 extra bits.
Why not do some research into Honda OEM cams?

Christian

07accord540
05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
never crossed my mind, i understand the brian crower cams are great. Im just looking to add power without doing a complete engine overhaul. this is my daily driver.

HondaFreak
05-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Then honestly I would look around for a good OEM combo. BC stage 2 cams are going to be rough and would probably need K-Pro to get full advantage of those cams. Which is a good point, K-Pro is probably going to be the only way to take full advantage of a cam swap.

Good breather upgrades like Cold Air Intake, header and exhaust are a good place to start if you have not.
A intake manifold gasket or throttle body gasket will help high intake temps.
I'll look around a little and see what's, what.

Christian

thaduke2003
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I agree with Christian to a point. The stage II's won't be rough, but they may be a bit much for a daily driver. The Skunk2 Stage I's have been in my car for years, boosted and N/A, and I always forget to mention them until someone asks! They're just like ITR's in that they give moderate gains, with ZERO powerband dip. With bolt-ons, you can't beat 'em.
K-Pro isn't necessary with the Skunk2's, nor are uprated springs and retainers, but I, as said above, HIGHLY reccommend all three. Also, a good set of tires, springs and shocks/struts, and upgraded brake pads would be on my list- "power is NOTHING without control."
Intake, race header, and a moderately sized (2.5") exhaust would be great supportiing mods. An RBC intake manifold would also work wonders for your powerband. Do all these first before you open up your head, as you may not even WANT to do cams later, as it is a pretty decent expense (labor intensive)- Mark W.

07accord540
05-08-2008, 02:25 PM
i already have a k&n cai, a tsx im, neuspeed ss adapter, tl rear and front sway bars, and a cusco type 2 lower frame brace. I didnt want to change the exhaust and have some loud ricer, i want to maintain somewhat of a sleeper appearance and sound, yet have aftermarket performance.

thaduke2003
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Borla makes great street exhausts.
I would definitely do springs and shocks first before adding more power- Mark W.

07accord540
05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
ive been interested in doing that but i am unsure on what setup would be best. ( brands that is) i here that koni performs yet doesnt last, i am looking for something that will perform over the long haul

thaduke2003
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Eibach springs are all I use, and all I reccommend. For struts, KYB's are what don't last- Koni's may need maintenance in a few years. Tokico's hold up well, and are good from day one- I'm a big fan of their stuff. Adjustables are optional, but I don't reccommend them to most people unless it's a street/track car- Mark W.

07accord540
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
this is goin to be purely a street car, no competition. if it ever sees a track it will be for enjoyment only. with the srings and struts, i assume a camber kit would be required?

07accord540
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
what about a full coilover setup?

thaduke2003
05-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Last thing I would reccommend on a street car. Without getting too technical, you lose suspension stroke (travel), and usually have a much higher spring and damper rate than with aftermarket springs and dampers. For a dual purpose street/track car, I still hesitate to use them.
In dialing in my EP that pulled 1.004G (Lateral) at Lime Rock's skidpad (Toyo RA-1's, stock valve Tokico D-specs, Eibach Sportlines, chassis bracing, etc.), I found that there is little extra grip to be found with street tires and coilovers (a few thousandths of a G- nothing worth the money, to be sure), and the ride harshness penalty was FAR from worth it.
Mark W.

07accord540
05-09-2008, 04:17 PM
springs and struts it is, a camber kit would be required right?

thaduke2003
05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Not required- you MAY have enough range in your stock setup, but I highly reccommend them for accurary and added range. They're a minor expense, and can make an alignment tech's job a lot easier- just make sure and mention them when you get an alignment! :) Mark W.

07accord540
05-09-2008, 04:28 PM
thanks for all the info mark!

thaduke2003
05-09-2008, 08:24 PM
No problem- this is what I do :) Mark W.

The Pope
05-14-2008, 05:16 AM
07Accord540,

Don't know if you have ordered the new springs and struts yet, but if you haven't. You might want to look at the package that Neuspeed offers. Basically it's Koni Struts and Neuspeed Springs (springs are mad by H&R Springs for Neuspeed). Even though the package has the "Race Spring" in it, they will swap them out with the "Sport Springs" if you request this change in the comments when you order.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp? app=52|AC&type=2&ltype=ns_import&p_id=1934

http://www.hrsprings.com/

Also if you need/want a rear camber kit, Ingalls are highly rated!

http://www.ingallseng.com/index.html

Just food for thought!

07accord540
05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
thanks, im leaning towards eibach springs and tokico struts but havent ordered anything yet or made up my mind, waiting for the tax return. but the ingalls camber kit will be a definite buy.
- David

07accord540
05-17-2008, 08:35 AM
the suspension has been ordered, eibach all the way. very anxious to get it installed, ill keep yall posted.

07accord540
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM
well, change of plans, the site i oredered the suspension from didnt have their shit in order. half of the parts i ordered where still in developement despite showing availability on their website. very poor experience and i strongly advise staying away from www.jazzproparts.com (http://www.jazzproparts.com ), very unprofessional and ignorant. looks like im going with the neuspeed/koni setup. should have listened to you pope!

The Pope
05-20-2008, 04:56 AM
should have listened to you pope!

Not a problem! You need to do what you feel is the right thing for you to do. I only offered a suggestion, food for thought. So now you need to determine if you want to wait for the parts that are under development to come to market or to purchase something else. So ........ I'd suggest that you do some more research and determine which path is the best for you. Don't let the "I got to have a new suspension system now!" rule your decision. If you decide that you want to wait and get what you originally tried to order, fine. Just don't rush the decision as in the long run it will save you time and money.

07accord540
05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
yea, thats the conclusion i have come too, im now thinking of going all out with the suspension and getting full coilover setup so i can adjust for any type of ride. i have been looking at the tanabe setup, good price, just unsure on the reliability.

The Pope
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm not up to speed on coil-overs ....... just do your research and others here may chime in with some info.

Happy hunting!

07accord540
05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
im thinking the tein super street coilover with pillowbar upper mount, part number DSA50-2USS1.

07accord540
06-05-2008, 08:36 PM
so i just finished the install on the tein coilovers, the install took a long time to complete since this was my first suspension DIY, but went smoothly, rides nice and corners really well! taken it to get aligned tommorrow.

1slowk24
06-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Cool. I remember i was just trying to install the HFP with Neuspeed red sport springs. THe install was a biotch and a half to do. If i had the cash at the time I would totally go and have someone else do it. Just messing with floorjacks and jackstands with a suspension isntall is a pain in the ass.

The Pope
06-09-2008, 05:17 AM
so i just finished the install on the tein coilovers, the install took a long time to complete since this was my first suspension DIY, but went smoothly, rides nice and corners really well! taken it to get aligned tommorrow.

Great!

If you haven't already taken you car in for an alignment, wait! It's recommended that you give the new springs a week or two to settle. If you've already had an alignment done. I'd suggest that you take it back in in a few weeks just to have it checked.

thaduke2003
06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
A week or two is a long time- after maybe 50-100 miles of driving, most springs have settled to their final position. It is suggested that you wait, but the difference in a quality spring will be less than 1/2". Most alignment places can or will compensate for this. If not, they may allow you to get a "touch-up" alignment to finalize your settings after your initial visit- Mark W.

07accord540
06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
doing the alignment today been a few days and more than 100 miles on the new suspension, i havent played with the stiffness yet but the handling in amazing, it flys around corners and is much more fun!