brake setup [Archive] - K-Series Forums

View Full Version : brake setup

07accord540
07-02-2008, 10:41 PM
i want upgrade my brakes, but was wondering if using acura parts would yield any better performance? there are so many interchangeable parts from the tsx and the tl, so i figured that it would work.

xjohnkdoex
07-03-2008, 08:13 AM
i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the quality of all those parts are the same even if fitment is different. so the performance wouldn't be any better.

i think TSX owners (probably earlier years) had some issues with some rotor warpage (in a technical bulletin).

i'm actually looking to eventually upgrade my brake setup. i don't have aftermarket rims, so i BBK or anything. probably just some slotted rotors from stoptech, hawk ceramic pads, and some steel brake lines. the stock brakes for the TSX are pretty mushy imo. i need something with a little more bite, especially when NY drivers jump out of lanes suddenly.

Lucid Moments
07-03-2008, 09:04 AM
The thing you have to ask is exactly how you want to improve the performance of your braking system.

If what you want is to stop faster then buy better tires.

If you are having problems with brake fade then you can probably solve that with better pads and fluid, although if you have done that and are still having problems then stepping up to a larger brake rotor might improve things for you.

If you want better brake feel then get some braided stainless brake lines.

07accord540
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
right now i have stock brakes, original since there is only 20k miles on the car. ive upgraded the intake, im, suspension, sway bars, v6 strut, ingalls stiffy etd, short shifter and shifter bushings. im thinking that brakes are the next step. i was thinking that if i could build an all honda brake setup, it would be pretty cool, but if there are better alternatives, im up for that. this is my daily driver but i do drive like a maniac.

Lucid Moments
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
My question though is what defines better to you? What are you looking to improve?

07accord540
07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
stopping power mainly, at high speeds that is. when i hit the brakes at high speeds, it slows down but not fast enough in my opinion. i know brake pads and rotors would make a difference, but the calipers was my main interest, would it really help?

Lucid Moments
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
No, bigger/better calipers don't help stopping power at all. For better stopping power you are limited by the tires. Your current brakes should be more than capable of locking up the tires at any speed.

07accord540
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
upgrading the rotors and pads wouldnt help?

Lucid Moments
07-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Not really. Not with stopping faster. If you are having problems with overheating the brakes then upgrading pads and going with bigger rotors can help, but they don't actually help you stop faster. Where upgraded pads can help is with brake feel, and agressiveness. You get a pad with a more agressive compound and it will provide more braking with less pedal pressure.

What I would do if I wanted to upgrade the brakes on a street car would be some good pads. Hawk HPS, Axxis Ultimates or something similar. Stainless steel brake lines, and ATE Super Blue fluid. If that won't handle everything you can throw at it on the street then you need to get off the street and take it to the track.:D

07accord540
07-03-2008, 03:52 PM
good info, thanks!

1slowk24
07-06-2008, 03:02 AM
They have a group buy for a Willwood 6 pot BBK for 600 and are R and Ding a rear larger brake kit for the accord,
Here's the link
http://www.v6performance.ne t/forums/showthread.php?t=129 063
I think this will give you the stopping power you need. I hope linking to other group buys doesnt violate any forum rules :\

xjohnkdoex
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
They have a group buy for a Willwood 6 pot BBK for 600 and are R and Ding a rear larger brake kit for the accord,
Here's the link
http://www.v6performance.ne t/forums/showthread.php?t=129 063
I think this will give you the stopping power you need. I hope linking to other group buys doesnt violate any forum rules :\

oh man, i'm not a member of that forum, but that deal is tempting enough for me to join and take part.